variants: or merocyanine dye
Definition of merocyanine
: any of a class of polymethine dyes that are used like the cyanine dyes as sensitizers in photography but differ from the cyanine dyes in containing an acidic heterocyclic nucleus (as rhodanine or pyrazolone) linked to a basic heterocyclic nucleus (as quinoline or benzothiazole) and in not being ionized
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game