Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
The music feels a bit listless, like this is going to be a transitional period in his career.
Critics said the government was promising economic benefits to rush listless voters to increase the participation rate.
On the other: Wales-Northern Ireland. The great beneficiary was Portugal, which barely survived group play with three listless draws before handling Croatia, Poland and Wales en route to the final while all the big boys beat up on each other.
The embattled coach Jorge Sampaoli or the curiously listless players who have failed to produce, including the great Messi?
The listless Eryk filled my thoughts all through my mother’s decline.
Who goes down by 10 in a listless first half, then wins by 29?
But given Daryl’s listless position over the past few years, that decision, too, could bring problems.
Other than that, the Warriors can seem listless, disengaged, perfunctory, out of rhythm, even discombobulated.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of listless for English Language Learners
: lacking energy or spirit
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).