Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
The Pelicans made 58 percent of their field goals in the first half and led by as much 20 points against a listless Kings squad that lost starting point guard De'Aaron Fox in the first quarter to lower back stiffness.
The campaign has been divisive, marked by anger over the listless economy, high unemployment and immigration.
The Ravens may decide to wipe the slate clean with their passing game between now and late April, and their jump into the top half of the league’s rushing rankings last fall came after multiple years of listless production on the ground.
The three dogs became listless, stopped responding to their handlers, refused to drink water and had trouble standing.
Texas has lost consecutive games to Kansas State and TCU, with Saturday’s listless performance in Fort Worth arguably marking a low point, given the stakes and timing.
Fair question, given how listless everyone, including James, was in the loss against the surging Rockets.
The momentum wasn't positive, but Alabama had life after a listless opening 30 minutes.
My can was nearly flat, which left what should be a beer with a nice creamy body feeling thin and listless.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of listless for English Language Learners
: lacking energy or spirit
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).