Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
A lopsided loss at Houston, a stunning upset at home by Kentucky and a listless bowl defeat against LSU raised question marks about Jackson where previously stood only exclamation points.
Brian Lewerke has some potential and could provide a listless offense a shot of life.
In 1987, aides to President Reagan weighed the possibility of invoking the amendment when concerns grew about his listless and detached behavior in his second term.
In this wasteland, with this group of listless friends, ROOF could talk about shooting up a college, brandish his gun, use racist slurs, all without being considered outlandish.
Riding a torrid July wave, and energized by the acquisition of Cabrera on Sunday, the Royals finally had a listless night at the plate.
But the collective that takes the field at Red Bull Arena for the Sept. 1 qualifier against Costa Rica almost certainly will be miles from the listless, uncertain squad that was demolished by Los Ticos last November.
The coroner identified 125 bruises on her body and said Sheila would have suffered from intense abdominal pain, been unable to eat, vomited and been listless in the days before her death.
On a listless night for the Angels’ offense, Trout struck out swinging on three pitches to secure the defeat.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsenervated, lackadaisical, languid, languishing, languorous, limp, spiritless
Antonymsambitious, animated, energetic, enterprising, motivated
Related Wordsindolent, lazy, slothful; dull, lethargic, logy (also loggy), sleepy, sluggish, torpid; exhausted, knackered [British], tired, weary; feeble, frail, weak; apathetic, impassive, indifferent, phlegmatic, stolid; careless, heedless, thoughtless, unwary; inactive, inert
Near Antonymsactive, dynamic, industrious, kinetic; avid, eager, enthusiastic, keen, lively, pumped, vivacious; cheerful, chipper, perky, up; agog, alert, awake, dapper, open-eyed, sleepless, vigilant, watchful, wide-awake
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of listless for English Language Learners
: lacking energy or spirit
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Definition of listless for Students
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).