Examples of listless in a Sentence
- He became listless, answered in monosyllables, gurgled, drank a great deal of whisky, and looked with hateful eyes at everyone. —Isaiah Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 12 Apr. 1987
- She looked up and saw everyone starting his work. She took out a piece of paper, feeling listless and bored as she did. —Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy, 1964
- His blue eyes had lost their colour; they had a listless droop; and his mouth, losing the fulness of youth, was weak and pale. —W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage, 1915
- Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled—some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head. —Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847
The heat made everyone tired and listless.
The party was a listless affair.
Recent Examples of listless from the Web
Mike Riley, Nebraska The Cornhuskers looked listless and unprepared in their 56–14 loss to Ohio State.
Still, the day’s moves were relatively small, extending a pattern of largely listless trade for the stock market.
On Wednesday the market closed up 0.2% following listless trading.
Liverpool booked its place in the Champions League group stage by defeating TSG Hoffenheim 6-3 on aggregate and most recently thrashed listless Arsenal 4-0.
But a listless first half on Tuesday put them back on perilous footing.
Second-year coordinator Ken Zampese will come under more scrutiny after another game of listless offense.
And an anemic 17-10 loss in the Bluegrass last season in which South Carolina’s listless offense made a terrible Kentucky defense look like the Monsters of the Midway.
The North Korean missile launch jolted a market that was largely listless around the world, but selling moderated throughout Tuesday.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'listless.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsenervated, lackadaisical, languid, languishing, languorous, limp, spiritless
Antonymsambitious, animated, energetic, enterprising, motivated
Related Wordsindolent, lazy, slothful; dull, lethargic, logy (also loggy), sleepy, sluggish, torpid; exhausted, knackered [British], tired, weary; feeble, frail, weak; apathetic, impassive, indifferent, phlegmatic, stolid; careless, heedless, thoughtless, unwary; inactive, inert
Near Antonymsactive, dynamic, industrious, kinetic; avid, eager, enthusiastic, keen, lively, pumped, vivacious; cheerful, chipper, perky, up; agog, alert, awake, dapper, open-eyed, sleepless, vigilant, watchful, wide-awake
Synonym Discussion of listless
- was depressed and languid for weeks after surgery
- languorous cats lying in the sun
- lackadaisical college seniors pretending to study
- listless hospital patients
- listless children flipping through picture books on a rainy day
- a spiritless recital of the poem
LISTLESS Defined for English Language Learners
LISTLESS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up listless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).