Definition of in flood
of a river, lake, etc.
: close to overflowing its banks and flooding the land next to it After a week of rain, the river is in (full) flood.
Note: The phrase in full flood is sometimes used figuratively to describe the time when something is most active, successful, etc.a political movement that was in full flood in the 1980s
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game