Definition of in conflict
1 : different in a way that prevents agreement They're in conflict over which car to buy. —usually + with The law is in conflict with the state's constitution.Her ideas were in direct conflict with those of her professor.
2 : in a struggle for power, property, etc. The two clans were in constant conflict (with one another).
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game