Definition of in conflict
1 : different in a way that prevents agreement They're in conflict over which car to buy. —usually + with The law is in conflict with the state's constitution.Her ideas were in direct conflict with those of her professor.
2 : in a struggle for power, property, etc. The two clans were in constant conflict (with one another).
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game