fly intransitive verb
Definition of fly in
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to switch (a railroad car) by a flying switch
Definition of fly-in (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : an act of flying to a destination planned the fly-in of the rescue planes
2 : an outdoor theater planned for the patronage of persons remaining in their private planes — compare drive-in
3 : a gathering (as at a small airport) of flying enthusiasts who arrive by private plane
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game