Definition of fly honeysuckle
1 : any of several shrubs of the genus Lonicera: such as
a : european fly honeysuckle
b : a straggling shrub (L. canadensis) with leaf margins and petioles ciliate
— called also American fly honeysuckle
c : tartarian honeysuckle
2 : an African shrub (Halleria lucida) of the family Scrophulariaceae
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game