Examples of eager in a Sentence
- … wine connoisseurs eager to visit cellars and late-fall pilgrims seeking the increasingly rare white truffle … —Corby Kummer, Atlantic, August 2000
- … so many religions were steeped in an absolutist frame of mind—each convinced that it alone had a monopoly on the truth and therefore eager for the state to impose this truth on others. —Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World, 1996
She was eager to get started.
The crowd was eager for more.
Recent Examples of eager from the Web
State and federal regulators are eager for progress in the technology because its benefits are so tantalizing.
There might be some fans who are eager for a more dramatic change in organizational philosophy, which might or might not come a year from now.
Despite the easy-going nature of the contest, Elliott, playing linebacker, apparently was eager for some contact.
For those eager for activity and connections, there are numerous ways to get involved.
To be sure, Congress doesn’t seem too eager to pursue these bills, and the Supreme Court has rarely overturned decisions made in such recent history.
After a career traveling internationally and supervising people in 30 countries, Casas was eager to find a way to become more involved in Miami’s community in retirement.
All of these potential customers seem very eager to get their hands on anything that even somewhat resembles the promise of Apple’s AirPower mat.
So, Rex Tillerson is gone, but only to be replaced by Mike Pompeo, who seems really eager for a war with Iran and who will leave the C.I.A. in even more torture-friendly hands.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'eager.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
agog, antsy, anxious, ardent, athirst, avid, crazy, desirous, enthused, enthusiastic, excited, great, greedy, gung ho, hot, hungry, impatient, keen, nuts, pumped, raring, solicitous, thirsty, voracious, wild;
champing at the bit, chomping at the bit;
Synonym Discussion of eager
- eager to get started
- avid for new thrills
- keen on the latest fashions
- anxious not to make a social blunder
- athirst for adventure
EAGER Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of eager for English Language Learners
: very excited and interested : feeling a strong and impatient desire to do something or for something
EAGER Defined for Kids
Definition of eager for Students
- … bright eager eyes were looking up into hers …
- —Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Synonym Discussion of eager
- Eager travelers waited for their train.
- I was anxious to learn who won.
- The new scouts are keen to learn.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up eager? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).