Definition of draw blood
1 : to take blood from a person's body for medical reasons We need to draw some blood to test you for the virus.
2 : to cause blood to flow from a person's body The punch to the nose drew blood. —sometimes used figuratively to suggest intensity or aggressiveness Some politicians view debates as chances to draw blood from their opponents.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game