: to serve as an indication of : betoken
- the swollen bellies that denote starvation
: to serve as an arbitrary mark for
- red flares denoting danger
: to make known : announce
- his crestfallen look denoted his distress
: to serve as a linguistic expression of the notion of : mean
- in the southern U.S., the word "toboggan" denotes a stocking cap
: to stand for : designate
- the symbol / denotes "or," "and or," or "per"
- An epiphany is, literally, a showing. In Christian terminology it denotes the showing of the infant Jesus to the three Magi.
- —David Lodge