dehydrogenase

noun

de·​hy·​dro·​ge·​nase ˌdē-(ˌ)hī-ˈdrä-jə-ˌnās How to pronounce dehydrogenase (audio)
(ˌ)dē-ˈhī-drə-jə-,
-ˌnāz
: an enzyme that accelerates the removal of hydrogen from metabolites and its transfer to other substances compare succinate dehydrogenase

Examples of dehydrogenase in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web An Expert Weighs In She further explains that some people may also be missing alcohol dehydrogenase, a key enzyme that helps the body break down alcohol. Athena Sobhan, Peoplemag, 16 May 2024 Their bodies have lower amounts of alcohol dehydrogenases, an enzyme needed to break down alcohol. Sandee Lamotte, CNN, 12 Apr. 2024 The Science of Alcohol Intolerance The aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) enzyme is central to metabolizing alcohol. Jake Parks, Discover Magazine, 25 Nov. 2023 The liver first uses alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) to break down ethanol into acetaldehyde, which is then converted into acetate by ALDH. Jake Parks, Discover Magazine, 25 Nov. 2023 In the liver 80 percent is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase; the remaining 20 percent is possibly metabolized by another enzyme, catalase. Mark Fischetti, Scientific American, 1 Sep. 2023 Alcohol is mostly processed by enzymes in the liver, primarily alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). Jake Parks, Discover Magazine, 15 Nov. 2023 Women have lower amounts of the enzyme, alcohol dehydrogenase, needed to break their drinks down, so they are left with higher levels of a substance that is toxic to organs like the liver. Linda Carroll, NBC News, 28 July 2023 Two enzymes–alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase–are responsible for processing alcohol in the body. Kimberly Hickok, Popular Mechanics, 17 Mar. 2022

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'dehydrogenase.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

Etymology

International Scientific Vocabulary

First Known Use

1923, in the meaning defined above

Time Traveler
The first known use of dehydrogenase was in 1923

Dictionary Entries Near dehydrogenase

Cite this Entry

“Dehydrogenase.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dehydrogenase. Accessed 14 Jun. 2024.

Kids Definition

dehydrogenase

noun
de·​hy·​dro·​ge·​nase ˌdē-(ˌ)hī-ˈdräj-ə-ˌnās How to pronounce dehydrogenase (audio)
(ˈ)dē-ˈhī-drə-jə-
: an enzyme that speeds up the removal and transfer of hydrogen

Medical Definition

dehydrogenase

noun
de·​hy·​dro·​ge·​nase ˌdē-(ˌ)hī-ˈdräj-ə-ˌnās How to pronounce dehydrogenase (audio) (ˈ)dē-ˈhī-drə-jə- How to pronounce dehydrogenase (audio)
-ˌnāz
: an enzyme that accelerates the removal of hydrogen from metabolites and its transfer to other substances see alcohol dehydrogenase, succinate dehydrogenase
Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!