:to become pregnant with (young)
:to cause to begin :originate
- a project conceived by the company's founder
:to take into one's mind
:to apprehend by reason or imagination :understand
- unable to conceive his reasons
- It is easy enough to conceive the notion that your island is a sort of fortress.
- —Paul Theroux
:to have as an opinion
- I cannot conceive that he acted alone.
:to have a conception
—usually used with of
- conceives of death as emptiness
- It is hard to conceive of all the work that must have been involved in starting off from scratch.
- —Harold Fromm