: to become pregnant with (young)
: to cause to begin : originate
- a project conceived by the company's founder
: to take into one's mind
: to apprehend by reason or imagination : understand
- unable to conceive his reasons
- It is easy enough to conceive the notion that your island is a sort of fortress.
- —Paul Theroux
: to have as an opinion
- I cannot conceive that he acted alone.
: to have a conception
—usually used with of
- conceives of death as emptiness
- It is hard to conceive of all the work that must have been involved in starting off from scratch.
- —Harold Fromm