Definition of bare-root
- Buying bare-root roses in midwinter has several advantages—the young roses are fully dormant with small, less-developed root systems and can be transplanted with less damage …
- —Elinor Teague, Fresno Bee, 16 Dec. 2011
- While you can plant potted peonies anytime during the growing season, if you are buying bare-root plants (and you probably are) they must be planted in the fall.
- —Craig Summers Black, Better Homes and Gardens, August 2000
- a bare-root nursery
- Bare-root season is short because trees are dug and shipped while dormant.
- —Emely Lincowski, Sunset, December 1992