Definition of banish
- a dictator who banishes anyone who opposes him
- He was banished from court.
- banishing her from the sport
- The reporters were banished to another room.
- his discovery banishes anxiety
- —Stringfellow Barr
He was banished for life.
The dictator banished anyone who opposed him.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'banish.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
give one the gate [slang], send packing;
: to force (someone) to leave a country as punishment
: to send (someone or something) away
: to cause (something) to go away : to get rid of (something)
What made you want to look up banish? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Test Your Emoji Exceptionalism