Definition of after-five
: designed or suited to be worn for semiformal evening social events and activities —always used before a noun after-five attire Gentlemen should wear coat and tie; ladies, after-five dresses or cocktail style pants. — Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, 14 May 1999
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game