Definition of acoustic suspension
: an enclosed mounting for loudspeakers that produces a more defined acoustic tone at the cost of a reduced output Acoustic suspension simply means that the driver is mounted in a sealed cabinet. — Home Theater, June 1997
Note: Enclosing a loudspeaker (usually a woofer) in a small space causes the emitted sound waves to behave differently, allowing the speaker to generate cleaner sound but also reducing its efficiency.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game