Week 6: In Deep Water Week
What do a conch, buoy, current, lifeguard, and reef all have in common? They’re all things you might encounter at the beach! This week you’ll find yourself In Deep Water at Puku Summer Camp where we’ll have some fun in the sun while learning more about the beach and boats. We hope you brought your bathing suit. ;-)
Remember that all of this week's vocabulary lists are available for immediate play in our Puku app (download information below!)
This Week’s Vocabulary Lists
This Week’s Book Recommendations
All Summer Select pages highlight challenging vocabulary for study and discussion questions to help guide conversations about the books.
Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Bayou Magic is a heartwarming story about recognizing the magic that exists all around us and the importance of acknowledging one’s responsibility to their heritage and community.
A Crack in the Sea by H. M. Bouwman and Yuko Shimizu
A Crack in the Sea is a thrilling historical fantasy about self-fulfillment, family and the powerful bonds that grow from hardship
Write an Acrostic Poem - An acrostic about a body of water. An acrostic is “a poem in which a set of letters (as the first letter of the lines) taken in order form a word or phrase.” See an example below. Try to use words from this week’s vocab lists.
- R - row your boat
- I - in the water
- V - very slowly
- E - early morning
- R - relaxing
Write a Story About a Beach Day - Write a story using words from our At the Beach Vocabulary List. Here are some writing prompts to get you started.
- I was walking along the beach and I saw…
- The lifeguard warned us about…
- The children were building a sandcastle when their shovel hit...
Other fun activities
- Go swimming! Or if you don’t have access to a body of water, play in a sprinkler or have a water balloon fight.
- Design a sandcastle. Draw a sandcastle and try to build it with sand, Play-Doh or modeling clay.
- Build a boat and test if it floats. Try adding small objects to see how much it can hold before sinking. What materials work best, tin foil or popsicle sticks?
- Go fishing! If you don’t live near a body of water try going to a pet store and looking at the different fish people have as pets.
- Make a model beach at home. Learn how here.