Week 7: X Marks the Spot Adventure Week
Avast ye landlubbers! It’s time you learn how to talk like a pirate this week at Puku Summer Camp! X Marks the Spot is this week’s theme where you can test out your pirate vocabulary and dig into the world of archaeology, learning words like artifact, excavate, and relic!
Remember that all of this week's vocabulary lists are available for immediate play in our Puku app (download information below!)
This Week’s Vocabulary Lists
This Week’s Book Recommendations
All Summer Select pages highlight challenging vocabulary for study and discussion questions to help guide conversations about the books.
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Bridge to Terabithia tells a beautiful story of overcoming hardship and pain through friendship, love, adventure and the power of imagination.
The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes
The Storm Bringer is a fast-paced and exciting adventure about overcoming odds and forging your own destiny.
Keep a Journal - At the end of every day this week write about the activities you did and adventures you went on that day. This could be one sentence, one paragraph, or one page, etc. The length isn’t as important as making sure that your entry is as descriptive and detailed as possible.
Write a News Article - Pretend that you’re a reporter writing a newspaper article about a pirate ship that recently discovered buried treasure. Try to write your story following an inverted pyramid format. This means you include the most important details at the beginning of the article and less important details are included in the middle and end of the article. Don’t forget to use vocabulary words from our Pirate Vocabulary list.
Other fun activities
- Go Geocaching! Find out how here: https://www.geocaching.com
- Make your own treasure map. You can make it look authentic by staining the paper with coffee and scorching the edges (with parents help/supervision) with a candle.
- Go on a Heads or Tails Adventure. Hop on your bike or go for a walk and every time you get to an intersection, flip a coin to see if you’re going right (heads) or left (tails).
- Play flashlight tag in the dark with your friends.
- Watch the movie The Goonies or Jumanji.