Synonyms and Antonyms of hammer
- Medieval artisans hammered brass into various bowls and trays, which they then embossed with elaborate designs.
- hammer a nail
- hammered the ball for a home run
hang one on
- I tried hammering the door to wake them up.
- The crops were hammered with hail.
assail, assault, attack, beset, box, bust, chop, clobber, clout, crack, cudgel, cuff, descend (on or upon), hit, jump (on), knock, lam, lay on, paste, pounce (on or upon), punch, raid, rush, slam, slap, smack, smash, sock, spank, storm, swat, swipe, thwack, whack, wham, whomp
beat up on
- The critics have long been hammering the stage actress for resorting to the same mixed bag of mannerisms over and over.
abuse, assail, attack, bad-mouth, blame, blast, censure, condemn, criticize, crucify, denounce, dis (also diss) [slang], excoriate, fault, harangue, knock, lace (into), lash, pan, reprehend, revile, scourge, slam, vituperate
lay into, read the riot act (to), take to task
Learn More about hammer
See words that rhyme with hammer Dictionary: Definition of hammer Medical Dictionary: Definition of hammer Spanish Central: Translation of hammer Nglish: Translation of hammer for Spanish speakers Britannica English: Translation of hammer for Arabic speakers Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about hammer
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up hammer? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).