Medical Definition of atrophic rhinitis
1 : chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose resulting in atrophy and sclerosis of the nasal mucosa especially : ozena The cause of atrophic rhinitis is unknown, with the leading theory being age-related mucosal atrophy, sometimes complicated by secondary bacterial infection. — Dennis K. Ledford, in Allergic Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment, 3rd edition, 2007
2 : a chronic disease of swine that is characterized by purulent inflammation of the nasal mucosa, atrophy of the nasal conchae, and abnormal swelling and distortion of the face The severity of atrophic rhinitis in a herd depends largely on the presence of toxigenic strains of P multocida [Pasteurella multocida], the level of management, and the immune status of the herd. — The Merck Veterinary Manual, 9th edition, 2005
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?