vote (with) one's pocketbookidiom
Definition of vote (with) one's pocketbook
1 : to vote in a way that helps one financially
2 : to show what one likes and dislikes by choosing where to shop and what to buy If our customers don't like our products, they will vote with their pocketbooks and not buy them.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?