Definition of underway
(Entry 1 of 2)
: occurring, performed, or used while traveling or in motion underway replenishment of fuel
variants: or less commonly under way
Definition of underway (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : in motion : not at anchor or aground The ship was underway at dawn.
2 : into motion from a standstill The train should be underway again soon.
3 : in progress : happening now Preparations for the celebration are already underway. A search is underway. The season got underway with a bang .
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game