Definition of underway
(Entry 1 of 2)
: occurring, performed, or used while traveling or in motion underway replenishment of fuel
variants: or less commonly under way
Definition of underway (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : in motion : not at anchor or aground The ship was underway at dawn.
2 : into motion from a standstill The train should be underway again soon.
3 : in progress : happening now Preparations for the celebration are already underway. A search is underway. The season got underway with a bang .
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game