under its own steamidiom
Definition of under its own steam
of a ship, boat, etc.
: by using its own power or efforts The ship was damaged but was able to return to port under its own steam. —often used figuratively He became a success under his own steam.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game