tro·pae·o·lum | \ -ləm\
Definition of tropaeolum
1 capitalized : a genus of tropical American diffuse or climbing pungent herbs constituting the family Tropaeolaceae and having lobed or dissected peltate leaves and showy variously colored spurred flowers succeeded by a fruit composed of three distinct rugose carpels — see canarybird flower, nasturtium sense 2
2 plural -s : any plant or flower of the genus Tropaeolum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?