Definition of tough luck
—used in speech to show sympathy for someone who has failed or has been disappointed You lost your job? Oh, tough luck. —often used in an ironic way to show that one does not feel sympathy for someone "I need more time to finish the job." "Tough luck. You knew the job was supposed to be done by today."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?