to be exactidiom
Definition of to be exact
—used to indicate that a statement is accurate and specific that afternoon, June 22, to be exactThey had many children—seven, to be exact.He came a long way—from Nome, Alaska, to be exact—to attend the wedding.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game