the thin end of the wedgenoun phrase
Definition of the thin end of the wedge
: the beginning of something that will become more serious, unpleasant, etc. The bank's decision to raise rates could be the thin end of the wedge if other banks follow along.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game