Definition of the thing
1 : the item that is the most fashionable or popular Long skirts are the thing to wear this season. It's the newest/latest thing in fashion.
2 : the fashionable or proper way of behaving, talking, or dressing It's the thing this year to buy products made from recycled materials.
3 : the reason for something OK, here's the thing: I don't have enough money to go to college. I'm sorry I didn't call you. The thing is, I've been really busy with work and school.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game