the real thingnoun
Definition of the real thing
: something that is genuine and not a copy or imitation : something that is truly valuable or important The diamond turned out to be the real thing. You've done very well in your training. Let's just hope you're ready for the real thing.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game