the brush-offnoun phrase
Definition of the brush-off
: rude treatment or behavior by someone who is not interested at all in what another person wants or asks for I wanted to ask him about his decision but he gave me the brush-off. I got the brush-off when I asked her for help.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game