Definition of the bench
1 law : the place where a judge sits in a court of law The lawyer asked if he could approach the bench.
2 : a long seat where the members of a sports team wait during a game for a chance to play He spent most of his season on the bench. He plays better coming off the bench.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Moon-Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?