the Dark Agesplural noun
Definition of the Dark Ages
1 : the period of European history from about A.D. 500 to 1000 : the first 500 years of the Middle Ages
2 or the dark ages, often humorous : the period of time before things developed into their modern form In the dark ages before computers, we often wrote our letters by hand. Her father's ideas about women are from the Dark Ages.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game