Definition of the dark
1 : a state in which no light can be seen She stumbled around in the dark until she finally found the light switch. He's 12 years old and still afraid of the dark.
2 : a place where little or no light can be seen The burglars hid in the dark between the two buildings. He bought the kids special rings that glow in the dark.
3 : a state in which something is hidden or kept secret Most of their deals were made in the dark.
4 : a state of not knowing about something I'm in the dark about the agreement. The public was kept in the dark about the meeting.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game