Definition of the dark
1 : a state in which no light can be seen She stumbled around in the dark until she finally found the light switch. He's 12 years old and still afraid of the dark.
2 : a place where little or no light can be seen The burglars hid in the dark between the two buildings. He bought the kids special rings that glow in the dark.
3 : a state in which something is hidden or kept secret Most of their deals were made in the dark.
4 : a state of not knowing about something I'm in the dark about the agreement. The public was kept in the dark about the meeting.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game