take a swipe atidiom
Definition of take a swipe at
1 informal : to direct criticism or insults toward (a particular person or group) She took a swipe at her former company in her latest column.
2 : to try to hit (someone or something) by moving something The batter took a swipe at the ball and missed.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game