Definition of swaybacked
1 : having an abnormally hollow or sagging back On occasion, the cow shared the pasture with a swaybacked horse.— Wright Morris
2 : having or marked by abnormal forward curvature of the lumbar and cervical regions of the spine … she stood upright, slightly swaybacked, affecting the bored look of a woman waiting for a bus.— Austin Murphy swaybacked posture
3 : marked by a sagging appearance : having or being a part with a concave center Behind the house was a collection of sheds and swaybacked barns …— Alec Wilkinson
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game