supersede was our Word of the Day on 10/10/2010. Hear the podcast!
Theme music by Joshua Stamper ©2006 New Jerusalem Music/ASCAP
Examples of supersede in a Sentence
- Fortunately, the scientific enterprise has its own self-correcting mechanisms that eventually sort things out. Studies that are wrong will be superseded by better studies with different results. Studies that are right will be corroborated by other good studies. —Harriet Hall, Skeptic, 2007
- The ancient human carriers of information and understanding—elders, priests, bards, teachers, and community members—are superseded by a more durable and efficient medium, the printed word. —M. Rex Miller, The Millennium Matrix, 2004
- Upgrading America's too-old, too-slow telephone network, which took about a century to build, is a massive task. But if you believe predictions that the Internet will one day supersede the telephone as the world's primary means of communications, these companies will be road kill if they simply sit by the wayside. —Bethany McLean, Fortune, 6 Dec. 1999
This edition supersedes the previous one.
Former stars were being superseded by younger actors.
Recent Examples of supersede from the Web
Our love and respect for one another supersedes any conflict or disagreement.
The superseding indictment additionally charges Armstead Kieffer with being a felon in possession of a firearm.
At some point in basketball's natural evolution, accuracy superseded form.
But there’s another element that might supersede those: Making plays.
This specific plan would supersede any and all previous actions on the property, [conditional use permits], everything.
For most people of good conscience, the value of a human being’s life supersedes that of our dog or a backyard plant.
For now, her promises to us here — her constituents — supersede any other promises.
Entire Agreement These terms and conditions are the entire agreement between the user and The Seattle Times and supersede any prior understandings or agreements (written or oral).
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'supersede.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of supersede
- replaced the broken window
- war had displaced thousands
- was abruptly supplanted in her affections by another
- the new edition supersedes all previous ones
SUPERSEDE Defined for English Language Learners
SUPERSEDE Defined for Kids
legal Definition of supersede
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up supersede? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).