variants: or sub-theme
plural subthemes or sub-themes
Definition of subtheme
: a theme that is secondary to a larger theme … these three different bodies of work are also bound together by the entwined themes of migration, globalism, and—unexpectedly—portraiture. Subthemes of labour, old age, and surveillance also emerge here.— Robin Laurence Three themes were ultimately extracted from the data: (a) instructional benefits and implications, (b) complexity, and (c) outlook. Each theme has two to four subthemes that were represented in the data.— Sheri M. Treadwell et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game