straighten outphrasal verb
Definition of straighten out
1 : to make (something) straight or to become straight You need to straighten out your legs for this stretch. The river curves and then straightens out again.
2 : to make (something) organized or tidy : to put (something) in order He took time to straighten out the papers on his desk.
3 : to deal with (something) successfully I need more time to straighten out my problems.
4 : to improve in behavior or condition or to cause (someone or something) to improve in behavior or condition He straightened out after joining the army. The problem will not straighten out on its own. You need to straighten your life out. Her parents sent her to boarding school to straighten her out.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game