straightened out; straightening out; straightens out
Definition of straighten out
1 : to make (something) straight or to become straight You need to straighten out your legs for this stretch. The river curves and then straightens out again.
2 : to make (something) organized or tidy : to put (something) in order He took time to straighten out the papers on his desk.
3 : to deal with (something) successfully I need more time to straighten out my problems.
4 : to improve in behavior or condition or to cause (someone or something) to improve in behavior or condition He straightened out after joining the army. The problem will not straighten out on its own. You need to straighten your life out. Her parents sent her to boarding school to straighten her out.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game