straighten upphrasal verb
straightened up; straightening up; straightens up
Definition of straighten up
1 : to make (something) organized or tidy : to put (something) in order They straightened up the house after the party.
2 : to move the body to an upright position Straighten up. There's no excuse for slouching.
3 US : to improve in behavior You need to straighten up, young man.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?