Definition of side-blown
: played or sounded by. blowing into or across a hole in the side : having a mouthpiece on the side a side-blown pipe The frog shell is very knobbly and is therefore end-blown in Fiji, where it is known to have been a ritual instrument, whereas the triton there is always side-blown.— Jeremy Montagu, Origins and Development of Musical Instruments, 2007 — compare end-blown
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game