Definition of end-blown
: played or sounded by blowing into the end : having a mouthpiece on the end an end-blown flute The simplest end-blown instrument is a tube, open at one end and closed at the other, for example, a segment of bamboo or reed closed at the bottom by the natural septum.— Jeremy Montagu, Origins and Development of Musical Instruments, 2007 — compare side-blown
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game