Examples of sensual in a Sentence
- A sharp observer with a pleasing eye for sensual detail, Jaffrey weaves a richly textured story in which she effortlessly mingles quotidian dramas with historic events including the partition of India. —Michelle Green, People, 6 Nov. 2006
- And Rousseau, in his Confessions, wrote of the sensual pleasure he found in simple meals of peasant cheeses and breads. —Andrea Lee, Gourmet, May 2004
Certain fragrances apparently heighten sensual experiences.
the sensual feel of a velvet shirt against the skin
Recent Examples of sensual from the Web
Cannabis can be consumed in the form of capsules, sublingual applications, lotions, sensual oils and even suppositories.
As the first female photographer to receive steady work from Vogue in the 1970s, Sheila Metzner captured sensual, wistful photos of stars like actress Molly Ringwald, actress Uma Thurman, and model Christy Turlington.
This very sensual full moon will strongly affect Scorpios, so let your passions be your guide.
There are monumental vases, and many drawings and paintings filled with brilliant colors, geometric and mechanically inspired forms, sensual pleasure, and no guilt.
Martha Teichner is our guide: Savannah -- stately, sensual, sultry … and slightly spooky, as the city gets in the mood for Halloween.
If an Aquarius partners with a Taurus or Scorpio, the air sign should work on becoming more tolerant of different worldviews and learn to appreciate the raw physicality of these highly sensual signs.
Meanwhile, Venus, Jupiter and the sun remain in Scorpio, the most passionate and sensual of the signs.
An alternatingly smooth and blustery gospel prayer of devotion with a soupçon of pederasty, Faith’s supremely sensual third smash in three tries sprung from George’s erotic and chaste relationships alike.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'sensual.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of sensual
First Known Use: 15th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonymscarnal, fleshly, luscious, lush, sensuous, voluptuous
Related Wordsbodily, corporeal; agreeable, delectable, delicious, delightful, dreamy, gratifying, palatable, pleasant, pleasing, pleasurable, scrumptious; epicurean, luxurious, self-indulgent
Near Antonymsharsh, painful, uncomfortable; disgusting, foul, hideous, icky
Synonym Discussion of sensual
- a slave to carnal desires
- a saint who had experienced fleshly temptations
- fleshpots providing sensual delights
- led a mindless animal existence
- the sensuous delights of great music
- a life devoted to sensual pleasures
- a luxurious hotel
- a voluptuous feast
SENSUAL Defined for English Language Learners
SENSUAL Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up sensual? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).