se·man·teme | \ sə̇ˈmanˌtēm\
Definition of semanteme
: a word (as the noun dog, the verb run, the adjective new, the concrete adverb fast) or a base (as Latin can- in canis “dog”, curr- in currere “to run”, nov- in novus “new”) that expresses a definite image or idea —distinguished from morpheme
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game