Definition of salutogenesis
: an approach to human health that examines the factors contributing to the promotion and maintenance of physical and mental well-being rather than disease with particular emphasis on the coping mechanisms of individuals which help preserve health despite stressful conditions This approach, called salutogenesis, suggests that we as humans have the innate capacity to move toward health in the face of hardship.— Shanta R. Dube Salutogenesis asserts that an individual's motivation to engage in health-promoting (as opposed to risky) behaviors can be positively or negatively affected by internal and external stimuli …— Jeri Brittin et al.
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game