Examples of retard in a Sentence
The chemical will retard the spread of fire.
The problems have retarded the progress of the program.
Origin and Etymology of retard
First Known Use: 15th century
in the meaning defined at transitive sense
Synonym Discussion of retard
- bad weather delayed our arrival
- language barriers retarded their progress
- medication slowed the patient's heart rate
- on hot days runners slacken their pace
- unexpected business had detained her
RETARD Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of retard for English Language Learners
: to slow down the development or progress of (something)
RETARD Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up retard? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).