Examples of remiss in a Sentence
- It would be remiss of me if I did not share with you the vital role God has played in my recovery. —Jennifer Howard, Undoing Time, 2001
- But if we do not address these complexities in the public arena, and in ways that are spatially theoretically grounded, we will be remiss in carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities. —Saul B. Cohen, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, December 1991
- "Well, Sally, I'm in fault, and I acknowledge it; I've been remiss; but I won't let tomorrow go by without stopping up them holes." —Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, 1885
I would be remiss if I didn't tell you how much I appreciated the lovely gift.
Recent Examples of remiss from the Web
Kensington Palace would be remiss not to post a tribute to two very important royal dads on Father’s Day.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'remiss.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of remiss
First Known Use: 15th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonymscareless, derelict, disregardful, lax, lazy, neglectful, neglecting, negligent, slack
Antonymsattentive, careful, conscientious, nonnegligent
Related Wordsheedless, incautious, irresponsible, reckless, wild; unguarded, unwary; forgetful; disregardful, disregarding, inattentive, oblivious, thoughtless, unheeding, unmindful, unthinking; apathetic, disinterested, indifferent, unconcerned, uninterested; delinquent; loose
Near Antonymsmeticulous, painstaking, punctilious; cautious, chary, circumspect, gingerly, guarded; alert, heedful, heeding, mindful, observant, regardful, regarding, vigilant, wary, watchful; foresighted, forethoughtful, provident, responsible; thinking, thoughtful; concerned, interested
Synonym Discussion of remiss
- negligent about writing a note of thanks
- a society callously neglectful of the poor
- a reporter lax about accurate quotation
- slack workmanship
- had been remiss in their familial duties
REMISS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of remiss for English Language Learners
: not showing enough care and attention
REMISS Defined for Kids
Definition of remiss for Students
- I was remiss in paying my bills.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up remiss? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).