rear vaultnoun (1)
Definition of rear vault
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a rear arch used where a wall is very thick and the window recess becomes a vaulted area
rear vaultnoun (2)
Definition of rear vault (Entry 2 of 2)
: a vault in which the body is raised sideward to either right or left and then rotated a quarter turn outward so that the back of the body passes over the apparatus used
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game