ran out; run out; running out; runs out
Definition of run out
1a : to come to an end : expire time ran out
b : to become exhausted or used up the gasoline ran out
2 : to jut out
1a : to finish out (a course, a series, a contest, etc.) : complete
b of a baseball batter : to run hard to first base after hitting (a batted ball) ran out the grounder
2a : to fill out (a typeset line) with quads, leaders, or ornaments
b : to set (a line of text, such as the first line of a paragraph) with a hanging indention
3 : to exhaust (oneself) in running
4 : to cause to leave by force or coercion : expel
run out ofrun out on
: to use up the available supply of ran out of time
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game