pick up steamidiom
Definition of pick up steam
1 : to become more popular The idea began to pick up steam around the turn of the century.
2 informal : to slowly begin to move ahead in a faster and more effective way The project is slowly picking up steam.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game