par·oxytone | \ (ˈ)par+\
Definition of paroxytone
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : having or characterized by an acute accent on the penult of a word in Greek
2 : having or characterized by heavy stress on the penult
Definition of paroxytone (Entry 2 of 2)
: a word accented or stressed on the penult
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game